Skills mapping at the beginning of pedagogical studies

It is pretty good idea to do a skills mapping test in the beginning of the studies. I see all the areas that I will (hopefully) develop during the studies. These are divided into themes: 

Basic pedagogics:I notice that I lack a lot of knowledge about “central principles of pedagogics”, education politics and knowledge about the phases in human development. I am rather skilled in understanding education as one of core tasks of the society, though. 

Teaching, guiding and evaluating:Since I have studied so much before, many practices are quite familiar. For example I know that it is essential to stick to the educational plan and the personal skills and former studies affect the personalizing the studies. I am not sure if I can recognize the talents of the students and I very interested learning more about that. I am pretty impressed that one of the goals is to learn “how to recognize personal needs in order to strengthen development of identity and self-image”.  I have been researching a lot about identity related consumption needs. This is new. There are several other skills (that I obviously lack) such as “can select the best possible teaching method to each situation”. I do nothing about teaching people who have special needs. This is interested, exited to learn new stuff. The only parts of this I feel pretty confident already is the knowledge of GDPR and what kind of skills is needed when entering the business life or starting a business. 

Building a learning community: This seems to be my strongest area by far. I feel pretty confident about communications theories ( as communications major I should), I understand the role of occupational teacher as developer of the whole area and working life. But clearly my knowledge is rather narrow, since I know nothing about learning in different cultures and teaching immigrants.

Learning to be a pedagogics expert: There are some elements I am already confident. Such as self-knowledge as teacher and goal oriented behaviour, doing research and acquiring knowledge. But I do not know much about learning plan of schools, or the everyday practises. 

To sum up, this type of exercise is excellent way to illustrate what the studies are all about and how much and what kind of things we will learn during thee months. I feel this was motivating. 

Kommentit